Download The WiT Charter & 2 Year Plan
|Buffalo, New York
Location: Buffalo Country Club with Special Industry Tour of Goldman Titanium Recycling Plant
Women in Titanium Committee - Discussion & Meeting Minutes
Review of Activities Completed to Date:
• An executive committee was formed to develop & plan activities;
• A WiT informational brochure is now available for you to disseminate freely.
• WiT is a sponsor of the International Tele-Mentoring Program (ITP) to guide and provide assistance to any professional interested in mentoring at the middle, high school or college levels.
ITP offers a process that combines the proven practice of mentoring with the speed and ease of electronic communication, enabling busy professionals to make significant contributions to the academic lives of students. Through mentoring by industry professionals, a corporation helps students develop the skills and foundation to pursue their interests successfully and operate at their potential.
WiT is pleased to sponsor a number of students worldwide interested in finding a mentor within the titanium industry. If you are interested in mentoring a student through the International Tele-Mentoring program, please contact the ITA.
• ITA is developing a slide presentation offering general information about titanium metal to offer to any WiT member interested in utilizing this in their mentoring presentations;
• WiT is now an industry partner with the University of the West of England in the United Kingdom where WiT members will be working with this group to develop information for their research study to examine the lack of jobs for females in the Aviation and Aerospace industry. WiT members will be invited to join their meetings and add contact information to their mentoring database for networking purposes.
• The WiT group has successfully hosted 4 meetings this year so far:
o In Los Angeles with a tour of Space X;
o In Birmingham, England with a tour of the RTI Tamworth facility
o At the Paris Air Show for a networking reception.
o Buffalo, New York with a tour of Goldman Titanium and a scrap processing overview by Stacie Greenfeld Stone, Director of New Business Development for Goldman Titanium.
• ITA is pleased to organize the 1st Women in Titanium Full Day Conference on Sunday, October 4th in Orlando, Florida from 10 am to 5pm just before the TITANIUM industry Convention. Speaking topics include:
Think like an Extraordinary Leader: Developing a Mindset for Results
Incorporating Diversity & Inclusion Strategies into Corporate Culture
Assault Safety, Risk Reduction and Smart Travel for Professional Women
International Tele-Mentoring Program: How to start mentoring & get involved
Designing a Mentoring Scheme for Female Professionals in the Aviation and Aerospace Industry
How to Create Male Advocacy & Strategies
Frame of Mind Coaching is offering 30-minute complimentary, one on one private sessions offering insights and guidance on how to navigate road blocks, identify the right sponsor for you, develop your personal brand, and secure leadership buy in. Limited 30-minute sessions are offered and advanced sign up is required.
Registration fees for the WiT 1-Day conference is all inclusive with your TITANIUM conference registration! Or, for those who would prefer to come only to the WiT conference, a nominal registration fee is requested. If you are already registered for the upcoming TITANIUM convention, please be sure to modify your guest room reservation to arrive in time for the 1-Day event & to select the optional sessions you wish to attend.
Ideas Proposed for 2016:
1. Development of Intern Program on behalf of ITA Member Organizations with Universities.
2. Fundraisers (speakers, golf tournament, holiday party with auction, round table discussion)
3. Make connections with other Women’s Groups
4. In-Person Events / Locations Being Evaluated:
a. Reception with Industry Tour April, 2016 Paris, France
b. 1-Day Conference September 25, 2016 in Scottsdale, Arizona
c. Pittsburgh? Other Locations?
In summary, we are pleased with the work accomplished to date but now we need your help!
What can you do to support WiT?
1. Commit to bringing 2 colleagues to the October event.
2. Register for the free one-on-one private coaching sessions.
3. Ask your HR department to help distribute the Women in Titanium brochures.
4. Add the WiT Banner to your Outlook Email Signature.
5. Mentor a middle school, high school or college student.
6. Ask your organization to consider becoming a Corporate Sponsor.
7. Watch for the ITA industry partner survey to help compile data to collect the number of females working in the Ti industry.
8. Forward your ideas to the ITA – we can only continue to improve with your feedback.
Don’t feel like “it’s all or nothing” – do what you can, we appreciate whatever you can give to the group.
Healthy networks don’t limit themselves to regular meetings. Get engaged, pick an activity that appeals to you, and join us to keep our good work moving forward.
How do I ask my Employer?
Sometimes women find it difficult to ask employers if they can join a women’s group. Here are some suggestions you may want to consider when speaking to your employer:
1. Make a list of the reasons you want to join WiT (Networking Opportunities, Professional Advancement through events, mentoring, leadership, etc.) and be ready to share those items.
2. Explain how your organization will benefit from you forming an instant connection with other women who are facing or have already conquered the same challenges you face.
3. Invite them to join you! The best way for your employer to understand what WiT is all about is to come and hear the presentations to gain a better understanding of the value of participation.
Joining a network that has professional associations means that the connections can share and enhance common goals, goodwill, commitment, and interests.”