Women in Titanium Recap of Broadcast
Thank you to those who participated in the conference call broadcast earlier this week. We had over 30 in attendance and we really appreciate your continued interest and participation.
Here is a recap of the meeting for your reference and for those who were unable to attend:
Dawne Hickton welcomed everyone, advising the RTI/Alcoa deal has been finalized. Dawne will remain in her current capacity as ITA President and the Women in Titanium Chair until at least the end of this year. Dawne is serving on the ITA Board of Directors as an Alcoa representative.
The WiT group is entering the 2nd half of the year strong. Here is a recap of activities completed to date:
- An executive committee was formed to develop & plan activities;
• A WiT informational brochure is now available for you to disseminate freely (see downloads on the bottom of this email);
- WiT is a sponsor of the International Tele-Mentoring Program to guide and provide assistance to any professional interested in mentoring at the middle, high school or college levels and WiT is pleased to sponsor a number of students worldwide interested in finding a mentor within the titanium industry;
- ITA developed a slide presentation offering general information about titanium metal to offer to any WiT member interested in utilizing this in their mentoring presentations;
- WiT is now an industry partner with the University of the West of England in the United Kingdom where WiT members will be working with this group to develop mentoring support for professional females within the aviation and aerospace industry;
- The WiT group has successfully hosted 3 meetings this year so far:
- In Los Angeles with a tour of Space X;
- In Birmingham, England with a tour of the RTI facility
- At the Paris Air Show for a networking reception.
We appreciate all the new faces we have seen at these meetings and look forward to the upcoming 4th meeting next month in Buffalo, New York hosted by Goldman Titanium.
If you have not yet considered attending the Buffalo event, we encourage your participation and support.
Mrs. Frauke Hogue will be the workshop instructor on Thursday, August 20th and we are looking forward to her first lecture on behalf of the International Titanium Association.
A networking reception will follow at the beautiful Buffalo Country Club. A few of us are meeting for dinner afterward to talk about the committee and develop ideas for next year. Everyone is welcome to join in the conversation.
On Friday, August 21st we will host breakfast with our guest speaker, Stacie Greenfield Stone - Director of New Business Development for Goldman Titanium, Inc. who will review the scrap titanium recycling process, focusing on the rigorous aerospace quality requirements but also touching on the specifications of other industries that utilize titanium scrap. In addition, she will provide a brief overview of the titanium scrap/revert market, including supply, demand, and general trends. This is a timely subject for the titanium industry and a fascinating subject.
After the breakfast, Goldman Titanium will provide a plant tour of their facility. Goldman Titanium is also hosting golf in the afternoon at the country club.
For planning purposes, please be sure to register at your earliest opportunity. There is no cost to ITA Members and Non Members are welcome to participate at a nominal fee. Click Here for Registration & More Details
Another BIG announcement: ITA is pleased to support and host the first “Women in Titanium” 1-Day conference on Sunday, October 4th in Orlando, Florida in conjunction with the TITANIUM USA Conference. We have a full day of programming scheduled, along with some wonderful optional events including one-on-one coaching sessions for participants who register in advance.
One of the best parts is that registration is all inclusive with your TITANIUM conference registration! Or, for those who would prefer to come only to the WiT conference, a nominal registration fee is requested.
The round-up of speakers are diverse, interesting and nothing like what we have ever done in the past.
If you are already registered for the upcoming TITANIUM convention, please be sure to modify your guest room reservation to arrive in time for the 1-Day event & to select the optional sessions you wish to attend.
So to recap, in a very short amount of time we have established this group on behalf of the industry and the ITA is pleased to support our endeavors but now it’s up to you to keep the momentum going and to support Women in Titanium.
- Forward this email to as many colleagues as possible to encourage participation
- Add the banner to your email signature line or website.
- Ask your HR department to help distribute the Women in Titanium brochures.
- Request authorization to attend an upcoming WiT event.
- Don’t forget to register in advance for the complimentary one-on-one coaching sessions in Orlando.
- Interested in Mentoring a Student? Contact the ITA for more information on the Tele-Mentoring Program.
- Tell us your ideas! The group is only as successful as the participants make it.
Studies have shown, providing more opportunities for women in the workforce can be an important element of an organization’s strategy for the future. It is no longer just about “good corporate responsibility”. Including women in corporate culture is good business practice.
Leaders in management are responsible for creating the atmosphere and overseeing the organization's diversity approach as it affects the strategy, risk, and performance of their company. Organizations who provide women with management opportunities may find themselves leading as a contributor to success with improved profitability in this global economy.
Thank you for your continued interest.
We hope to see you at an upcoming event to continue the conversation.